Who We Are
Swim With Mike provides financial resources for the advanced education of physically challenged athletes to overcome their tragedies and realize their full potential.
- We believe that education is the great equalizer that offers our scholarship recipients the opportunity to reach their professional and personal goals of independence and success.
- Swim With Mike is a family of volunteers, athletes, sponsors, campaign directors, and donors from nearly every state and across the globe.
- We have raised millions of dollars to support the success of hundreds of athletes across the country
What We Do
Swim With Mike thrives in spite of paralysis, amputation, and blindness by raising funds through an annual swim event pool party at USC Uytengsu Aquatics Center and individual Campaign Directors’ activities – highlighted by our SWM scholarship recipients fundraising efforts to pay it forward. We swim laps, run, walk, roll, float and dedicate our time and dollars.
We are inspired by Mike Nyeholt and our 256 scholarship recipients. This is how we started in 1981:
- Mike, a USC All-American swimmer, sustained a life-altering injury that would change his life forever.
- Mike’s USC 1978 degree in Business Administration and Finance had projected him to a successful career at Capital Group Companies. Continuing his profession was an utmost priority in achieving his independence in recovery.
- So, he needed to get to work – and an adapted van to get him there.
- Ron Orr, Mike’s lifelong friend, and fellow USC Swim Teammate organized a swim event to raise the funds for the van. The overwhelming support resulted in an excess of funds.
- USC Physically Challenged Athletes Scholarship Fund was created with those funds, and the Swim With Mike annual fundraising efforts continued…now 40 years strong.
- Mike recognized in 1981 that his athletic background, the support of others, his USC degree, and work experience helped him move on to the point where he could thrive. His vision created, developed, and sustained Swim With Mike and the USC Physically Challenged Athletes Scholarship Fund for 40 years of providing college scholarships to 253 athletes who also experienced challenging life-altering injuries.
Why Support Swim With Mike?
A gift to the Swim With Mike general scholarship fund ensures that every qualified, deserving physically challenged athlete can reach their personal goals to achieve independence and success. We can do much more with your gift of support.
Swim With Mike by the Numbers
Funds raised in scholarship support since 1981
Swim With Mike Scholarships Nationwide
Schools represented nationwide
Scholarships funded in 2020-21 Academic Year
Schools represented in 2020-21 Academic Year Nationwide
Total scholarships awarded in 2020-21 Academic Year
Please join us to celebrate our 40th Anniversary with our first-ever virtual Swim With Mike event!
April 10, 2021
Tune in for the Livestream 4:00 PM @ SwimWithMike.org