36th Annual Swim with Mike
Swim With Mike is an annual swim-a-thon held to raise money for the Physically Challenged Athletes Scholarship Fund.
Established in 1981, the Swim was scheduled to be a one-time event organized by friends and teammates on behalf of Mike Nyeholt, a three time All-American swimmer, who was paralyzed from the chest down following a motorcycle accident suffered in January of 1981. Initially called Swim For Mike, the event was first held on March 7, 1981, to raise money to purchase a specially equipped van for Nyeholt. More than $58,000 was raised that day, far exceeding the amount needed to purchase the van. At his suggestion, the excess funds were used to create the Physically Challenged Athletes Scholarship Fund at the University of Southern California, the only one of its kind in the country.
Our Mission is Simple:
To provide financial resources for advanced education that pave the way for physically challenged athletes to overcome their tragedies and realize their full potential.
Founders Mike Nyeholt & Ron Orr in 1992
Who We Are
- Hundreds of dedicated volunteers, swimmer, sponsors and donors from 47 different states and across the globe.
- We are 57 athletes attending 40 universities who have overcome life challenging accidents or illnesses.
- We are 130 alumni recipients who are doctors, lawyers, engineers, actors and teachers.
What We Do
- We raise funds through a swim-a-thon and pool party.
- We swim laps, run, walk, float and dedicate our time and dollars.
- We thrive in spite of paralysis, amputation and blindness.
Why We Do It
- We are inspired by Mike Nyeholt and the scholarship recipients.
- After tragedy, getting back to education is getting back to life.
- Education leads to independence.
- And we have a great time!
What We Have Achieved
- We have raised over $16.8 million in 36 years.
- We supported 187 college scholarships at 90 different schools.
- We maintain a low overhead of less than 10% in administrative fees, allowing more scholarships to be given
How We Can Do Much More With Your Help
- Join us at the main event
- The main event, a fundraising swim-a-thon is held every April at the University of Southern California. This year's event is on Saturday, April 2, 2016.
- Join us at the satellite events
- Satellite swim-a-thons and fundraising events are also held at the Rose Bowl Aquatics Center, UC Berkeley, UC San Diego, Stanford, Hawaii, UConn, Arizona, UC Santa Barbara, and elsewhere across the country.
- Donate toward the scholarship recipients
- Please consider making a gift today to support our tremendous recipients.
- Contact us