Impacting Educational Equity
"At USC Rossier, our faculty and staff take our mission into the field, turning research into action that benefits historically marginalized communities.
We’re improving math instruction for thousands of students through a program that sharpens their teachers’ skills. We’re providing college advisers to under-staffed high schools serving disadvantaged communities across Los Angeles. We’ve created a model of personalized learning in high schools that has, for the fourth straight year, produced a 100% graduation and college acceptance rate for low-income Black and Latino students. And we’re designing tools to help colleges across the country diversify their faculty and staff.
We’re not afraid to work on education’s frontlines. Our school is making a difference."
- Dean Karen Symms Gallagher PhD, Emery Stoops and Joyce King Stoops Dean
Improving Access to Higher Education
- The USC College Advising Corps works to improve college outcomes for low-income, first-generation and underrepresented students through expert guidance. During 2018-19, advisers worked in 41 Los Angeles-area schools, directly helping more than 10,000 high school seniors gain acceptance to at least one college.
- Through our partnership with Ednovate, a charter school management organization, we have founded five high schools in the Greater Los Angeles area since 2012, serving primarily low-income Latino and Black students. 100 percent of our first four graduating classes have been accepted to at least one four-year college.
Click here to learn more: https://rossier.usc.edu/inaugural-class-of-second-usc-backed-high-school-meets-goals/
Increasing Diversity in the Field
- Our Center for Urban Education has hosted 22 equity-intensive institutes, giving nearly 1,500 higher education leaders the tools they need to responsibly recruit and retain racially diverse employees.
- With its new online tool PRISM, the USC Race and Equity Center is rethinking how colleges and universities recruit and retain faculty and staff of color by highlighting diverse pools of talent and offering employers race-conscious professional development.
- Rossier EdVentures supports education technology startup companies centered on advancing equity in education.
Leading by Example
At USC Rossier the demographics of our student body and our recent faculty hires reflect our mission to advance educational equity.
- More than 60% of current Rossier students represent are Hispanic/Latino, Asian American & Pacific Islander, Black or Native American
- 40% of USC Rossier current students are first-generation college students
- 70% of USC Rossier’s recent faculty hires are faculty of color
SUPPORT THE NEXT GENERATION OF EDUCATION LEADERS!
As we enter our second century as a school of education, USC Rossier remains committed to attracting and graduating the most outstanding future educators and leaders. Scholarship and fellowship support allows USC Rossier to attract talented, motivated and diverse candidates to the field of education by lessening the financial burden facing many of our students upon graduation.
Rossier students are committed to having a positive impact on learning in high-need communities. These are the kinds of future educators that our country needs. With your help, we can insure that they will pursue their passion without being constrained by debt. Your gift can help make it possible for the best students, no matter their personal resources, to attend USC Rossier.
Thank you for your continued and vital support! Fight On!